Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CANNOT-SCREW-UP RIBS

The name I have given this ribs recipe reminds me of when I first started making them. No matter what I did or what recipe I tried, I just couldn’t seem to get it right. One evening, after yet another rib catastrophe, I decided to give up on them. But really, what person in their right mind, who likes to cook and isn’t a vegetarian, would give up on these tasty temptations. Once I came back to my senses I called my mom for some guidance and gave it another try. I was astonished to realize that the most important factor in making ribs is time. No matter what the cooking time is on your recipe, if they are not fork tender and falling off the bone they need to be cooked longer. That being said, below is my basic recipe for ribs. Feel free to play around with the seasonings. One of my favorite variations is to replace the adobo with Cajun or blackening seasoning. The wine and seasonings reduce into a rich gravy that you can drizzle over the ribs.

SERVES 2

1 pork rib rack or pieces
½ c. white wine (you may substitute beer, chicken broth or water)
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs. adobo or garlic salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If you are using a rack of ribs vs. pieces, I recommend that you remove the skin that is stubbornly stuck to the back of the ribs. Use a paper towel to prevent your fingers from slipping. Place the ribs in a baking dish and season. Add the wine, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 2 hours or until ribs are fork tender. Uncover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes per side or until golden brown and serve. If you are using a glaze or barbeque sauce, brush the ribs with the mixture and cook for 2 more minutes per side.

The last two steps may be done on a grill for a smokier flavor.

2 comments: