Monday, March 2, 2009

OCTOPUS SALAD

February 27th was Dominican Independence Day! To celebrate, my husband and I hosted a traditional Dominican dinner. This is the first of several dishes I made that will be posted.

This is an easy, flavorful and light dish. Dominicans traditionally serve it piled on top of tostones (fried green plantains). However, I often serve it atop endive leaves, which makes for a healthier and easier alternative. In terms of taste, this dish is similar to ceviche. In fact my friend suggested that these same ingredients could be used to make ceviche by swapping the cooked octopus for raw white fish or other seafood. If any of you decide to try making ceviche this way I would love to hear from you. Furthermore, if you are squeamish about octopus, don’t be. I have made this dish many times even for the pickiest of guests and I never get to enjoy leftovers. However, if you are certain you dislike octopus you can substitute it for an equal amount of cooked shrimp or cooked fresh tuna. Serve this as an hours dourve, first course, or light meal.

SERVES 4
3 c cooked octopus, chopped, canned or fresh
1 box cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ green pepper, finely chopped (or 1/4 each green and red pepper)
3 limes, juiced (lemon may be substituted)
1 c finely chopped cilantro
4 tbs olive oil or more to taste
salt/freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes. You can make this 1-2 days before serving as the flavors will only continue to develop.

1 comment:

  1. Excuse me as an Ecuadorian - I beg to differ that the traditional Ceviche does not have green pepper. LOL

    ReplyDelete