Tuesday, April 21, 2009

EASY PEASY SALAD

I should probably be embarrassed at how this salad was born: sheer laziness. It’s a rainy, lazy day here in Barcelona. It’s the kind of day that makes you want to stay in and take a nap or watch a movie. Given the conditions, even cooking wasn’t at the top of my list. With the persistence of my grumbling stomach, I mustered enough motivation to shell some fresh spring peas I had picked up at my local produce market. I was going to eat them as is when I saw a bottle of sweet Modena balsamic vinegar peaking at me from the back of my pantry. Armed with the peas, the vinegar, some sea salt and extra virgin olive oil, a simple, quick and delicious salad was born. I suppose it’s ok to be lazy once in a while if a new tasty recipe results from it.

Serves 2
3 c shelled peas, raw
3 tbs olive oil
2 tbs sweet balsamic vinegar or glaze
Salt, to taste

Pour 1 tbs of the vinegar and 1 tbs of the olive oil in small bowl, without mixing, and set aside. Toss the peas, remaining olive oil, remaining vinegar and salt in a separate bowl. Spoon the salad onto a plate, drizzle the reserved dressing around the peas and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Those peas look perfectly fresh and plump! Your salad sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing could beat how easy this salad is. Of course it delicious too. I love peas, especially fresh peas.
    Cheers,
    elra

    ReplyDelete