Monday, October 26, 2009

MUSHROOM - INFUSED SAUSAGE RAGU

6 lbs of Costco - bought sweet Italian sausage. That's what kept taunting me every time I opened the oversized yellowed door of my prehistoric but still tickin' Amana refridgerator. I knew I had a challenge and grilling a couple of sausages or frying mini breakfast patties here and there wasn't going to make much of a dent. With 3.5 lbs to go, I needed a recipe that took this seasoned ground pork from the sidelines to the spotlight.

I tossed this luscious ragu with al dente orecchiette pasta but I think it would pair nicely with creamy polenta as well. Some other uses may include empanadas, caneloni, lasagna, ravioli or gnocchi. This recipe will also work beautifully with a turkey sausage substitute. Buon appetito!

SERVES 6 - 8
3.5 lbs sweet italian sausage, casings removed
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
8 oz mushrooms such as baby bella or button, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 L chicken stock, low sodium or pref. no sodium
pepper to taste
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 dried bay leaf
2 tbs olive oil

Saute the chopped vegetables with the olive oil over medium heat until soft, about 12 minutes. Increase the heat to med - high and add the sausage to the vegetables. Cook while stirring to break the meat apart until cooked through and caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 1.5 to 2 hours. Keep uncovered for the first hour or until the liquid has reduced by about half.

NOTE: If you are using no sodium broth you may add salt to taste once the liquid has reduced. Otherwise, no additional salt will be necessary.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great great inviting warm meal for the chilly weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Nicole, it was about time!!!.
    More please. Un beso.
    ana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ragu sounds so good Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog. Will try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I’m looking to make some changes in my own eating habits and learning to cook, so I appreciate your insight a lot! Thank you. I recently stumbled upon this blog like I did yours and I thought your readers may appreciate it: http://burisonthecouch.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/food-for-thought/

    I’ve started to look for blog help more regularly and I think I’m going to add your blog to my list as well. Thanks for the post!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete